10 Things You Don’t Know About Back To The City! This Freedom Day marks the 12th annual Back To The City concert which will be taking place at Mary Fitzgerald Square in Newtown, Johannesburg.
The annual youth event brings to you commercial and underground Hip Hop in Africa, presenting a day of live music, street art, break-dancing, art installation, skateboarding, film, street fashion, gaming, speakers and panel discussions.
Here are 10 Things You Don’t Know About Back To The City:
1. Back To The City Started in 2007 with an attendance of about 3,500 people.
2. Reason is the only rapper who has performed at all the Back To The City events since it started.
3. Pro is this years highlight as the 2018 Heritage Moment.
4. The day is not just a day filled with live performances but actually kicks off with a summit were there i s an exchange of knowledge.
5. The Powerplay 10K challenge gives upcoming Producers and rappers a platform to shine with 8 finalists in each category who will compete for R10,000 and recording time at the Downtown Studios.
6. This years power Hour will be mainly focusing on young talent like J Molley and Zooccie Coke Dope.
7.The 2018 Back To The City tribute will focus on SA rappers from the early 2000’s from ‘Outrageous Records’ with performances by H2O, Zubz, Proverb and Optical Ill.
8. Every year they have new artists performing on the BTTC stages, this year we have artists like Zoocci Coke Dope, Champaigne69 and Palmtree Paradise.
9. The 2018 Battle of the Bands is a competition that has 8 bands taking part competing for a R25,000 cash prize.
10. BTTC is one of the last surviving big urban concerts in South Africa and continues to grow every year with the last event pulling in 25,000 people.